Find below the FREE CPD-certified workshops in Theatre A.
For you to receive your CPD points and certificate you MUST attend the first 30 minutes of the workshop. The certificate is available for collection at the CPD collection point after 2 hours of the workshop session being completed. The certificates are only available during the days of the event, so don't forget to collect your certificate during the event.
If you are interested in speaking, please contact: Rubina Dsouza
THEME OF THE DAY: TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION
- Successes of 3D in engineering and construction in the face of the current challenges.
- The Future of Design and Construction.
- The Global Village: Advanced collaboration platforms available.
Speaker: Emmanuel Maenda, Technical Solutions Associate, Centre for Innovative Technology
- Demystifying IoT and Artificial Intelligence
- How is IoT and AI being leveraged across the construction industry?
- Ways in which it is being applied in construction
Speaker: Ngesa Naphtally Marvin, Student Ambassador, Intel and Co-Lead, Google Developer Groups
- Virtual Reality and Design
- Use of Drones and Mobile Devices
- Building Information Modelling
- Digital Printing (Glass)
- Collaboration tools for designers
Speaker: Maye Edwin, Developer Community Lead, Google
- The Local and International legal framework on accessibility design for a variety of construction projects in Kenya
- Exploring the Tax, Income Exemptions and other inclusion benefits on construction projects in Kenya
Speaker: Richard Nasong’o, Cofounder, Project Planning, and Management Association of Kenya Limited (PPMAK)
The AEC industry is changing. Clients are demanding more for less, firms are getting caught up in their own unproductive processes, and technology is disrupting traditional ways of working. That’s why, wherever you are in the AEC industry, there are huge opportunities to transform your business processes.
THEME OF THE DAY: PROJECT MANAGEMENT & ENGINEERING
- Who is a Project Manager and what exactly do they do?
- Project management challenges that most construction projects face
- How to make use of the Project Manager on your project?
Speaker: Rose Kananu, Managing Director, Howard Aidevo Consulting, Vice President of the PMI Kenya Chapter
- How to prepare site master plans?
- A look into restructuring planning and building regulations
- Sourcing the right development approvals for site plans
Speaker: John Ojwang, Urban Planner, Nairobi City Government
- Role of PMO (project management office)
- IT solutions that aid in the successful delivery of projects.
- Overview of scheduling, planning, resource allocation and contract management
Speaker: Andrew Mwaura, Lead Project Manager, Sterling Project Management
- Why are time and cost overruns still a major concern?
- The need for a competent project and construction managers.
- Why foreign contractors have an edge and what we need to do?
- Case Study examples from the field
Speaker: Nashon Okowa, Project Manager & Chairman Association of Construction Managers of Kenya (ACMK)
- East African construction market by segments - (Deloitte Market Analysis 2016 - reference)
- Definition of terms and a brief history of project management - (PMBOK)
- Roles of project managers and why East African projects need more project managers?
Speaker: Steve Kamau, Project Manager at Howard Humphreys (East Africa) Ltd an ATKINS Company
- What does demolition mean?
- Reasons and methods for demolitions
- What are the provisions in the regulation related to demolition Rules and approvals of construction?
Speaker: Arch. Stephen Mwilu, Manager, Regional Offices, National Construction Authority Kenya
- Need for legislative regulation of PM in construction
Managing and delegation of roles in a project team
Uptake of Project Management in East Africa
Moderator: Boniface Ambale, Senior Project Manager, Mwazoni Ltd.
Speakers: Nashon Okowa, Project Manager & Chairman Association of Construction Managers of Kenya (ACMK)
Steve Kamau, Project Manager at Howard Humphreys (East Africa) Ltd an ATKINS Company
Eric E. Kigada, Architect Director at B & A Studios Ltd
Jack O’Regan, Senior Project manager, Turner and Townsend
THEME OF THE DAY: SUSTAINABILITY IN CONSTRUCTION
- Definition of Green Building Finance
- What is a green building and what are the rating tools?
- The real estate capital stack unpacked
- Eligible assets for green finance demystified
- What is a green building and what are the rating tools
- Where and how to source the green building finance
Speaker: Madhur Ramrakha, Board Treasurer & Chair of Finance Committee Green Star Africa (Kenya) AP New Buildings
- Main energy efficiency strategies incorporated in the design of green buildings
- Methodologies for evaluating environmental performance of green buildings
- Assessing the influence of occupants' behavior in promoting energy efficiency in buildings
Speaker: Nickson Otieno, Director of Green Building Standards and Certification at Green Africa Foundation
- What is light gauge steel construction?
- Basic LGS design engineering practices
- Local and international case studies
Speaker: Wendy Kimwatan, Project Planning & Procurement Manager, Eco-Steel Africa Limited
Incorporate Supply chain sustainability as a business issue affecting an organizations project supply chain management in terms of environmental, risk, and waste costs.
Since there is a growing need for integrating environmentally sound choices into supply- chain management project management, therefore, will not be an exemption and there is an urgency in such incorporation.
Supply chain sustainability is a holistic perspective of supply chain processes and technologies that go beyond the focus of delivery, inventory and traditional views of cost can include projects to reduce energy cost, any form of waste and application of green technologies within transportation and logistics networks.
To enhance the larger shift that involves a deeper level of collaboration with internal and external supply chain partners to reexamine project delivery methods, products, packaging and project measurement systems.
Speaker: Dr. David Mburu, Chairman, Procurement and Logistics Department at Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- Land Acquisition challenges and proposed remedies
- Project financing challenges
- Capacity Building
Speaker: Geoffrey Nagillah, Associate EIA/EA Expert, Certified Energy Manager
- Introduction and understanding of Fly Ash as a sustainable construction material
- Technical advantages and cost-optimization using Fly Ash in construction
- Case studies on the use of Fly Ash in infrastructure and real estate projects
- Impact of Construction on the environment and resources
- Aspects of Sustainable Construction
- Application of Sustainable Construction in Affordable Housing Provision
Speaker: Winny Okoth, Construction Project Manager & Vice Chairperson ACMK, Director EconstructProperties